Orientation

Today and yesterday were filled with sessions for international students to help us get acclimated to life in New Zealand and at Massey University. I've met so many people already, and I've found a group of people that I know will be great groups of friends. It's been so incredible meeting people from all over the world, like the US, Switzerland, and India, just to name a few. There are over 100 countries represented at Massey University, and I can't wait to meet people from every one of them!

It's always been amazing to me how quickly people find the people like them. I've made so many friends with people who actually have a lot in common with me, from small things like whether they also have two little sisters or played volleyball in high school to bigger things like finding others who are saved and living for God. I'm so thankful that I've found some girls who are followers of Christ and don't want to live like the rest of this world. (Y'all might get to meet them later!)

Along with all the meet and greets and sessions, we were also taken to a Massey University sheep farm to watch a shearing and dog herding demonstration. Massey has around 2500 acres dedicated solely to agriculture, including the study of dairy cattle, beef cattle, and sheep, among other things. When most people think of New Zealand farms, sheep comes to mind. (Or maybe perhaps a pig named "Babe.") There are around 24 million sheep in New Zealand, which is about 6 sheep for every person. But, in the Palmy area, dairy and beef cattle are more prevalent than sheep. 
Sheep are usually sheared in December in New Zealand. Except this one.


We were also taken on a tour of the city, were given some pretty delicious free food, but most importantly made friends with people from all over. If nothing else, this trip has given me an amazing opportunity to meet some pretty incredible and unique people from all around the world. Please pray that they can see the light of Christ in me and that I will have a chance to make a difference in the Massey community for Him. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Plymouth, NZ

March 2015

Our First Home