March 2015

March was such a magnificent month! Despite the busyness and the rushing to and fro, March has turned out to be quite wonderful. 

Test Week
Because of relentless snow and ice during February, so many classes were cancelled and as a result, exams were postponed... all to the same week.  The week before spring break, I had five tests in 48 hours, along with a five-page paper due and regular homework. (Biology, Statistics, Psychology, and two Chemistry tests. Yes, you read that right. Two. Chemistry. Tests.) Needless to say, I was a bit stressed. But with endless studying, prayer, and amazing support from my family and friends, I made it through, with flying colors, I might add. As it turns out, everyone else had faith that I could do it. I just need to have a little more faith in myself and God.

 Be ye strong therefore, and let not your hands be weak: for your work shall be rewarded.

2 Chronicles 15:7


The Music Man
If you know me at all, you know that I adore musicals, both on stage and on the screen.  My sisters and I were raised (right) on Rogers and Hammerstein classics like The Sound of Music, Oklahoma!, and The King and I. (Not to mention others like Singing in the Rain, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and a list of musicals that could fill pages upon pages of this blog. But I'll save that for another time.) The Music Man is definitely a family favorite, and if you've never seen it, I highly recommend that you watch it! It's about a traveling salesman that sells musical instruments and band uniforms to the kids in town, promising that they'll form a band. The catch is that, "He don't know one note from another!" It's filled with memorable songs, astonishing dance numbers, and a heartwarming storyline. (Goodness, I sound like a film critic.)  My sister Julie was fortunate enough to be a member of the Smith County After School Theater production of the show, and I'm so proud of them! (I'm still slightly jealous that they did this show the year after I graduated! It would have been so much fun!) It's the troupe's tenth and final show under the SCAST title and Mr. Reece's directing. They did a fantastic job with possibly their most difficult show ever attempted, and I couldn't be happier for them!

Myself, Julie, and our longtime director Mr. Reece.

Sunday, March 29th
It started just like any other Sunday.  My alarm went off, and I got up to begin getting ready for church.  As I was gathering my Bible and keys, ready to head out the door to the cafeteria and then to the parking garage, my iPhone buzzes. It was a text from my boyfriend, Ben. (Yay!) It read something like this: "Hey Diana! You wanna catch a ride with me to church? This run might have you blocked in." (The Knoxville Marathon was this day.) As soon as I comprehended what was going on, I began to cry.  (I told you I was a crybaby! I even cry over happy things!) Ben had driven all the way to Knoxville early in the morning just to surprise me. And boy, he sure did! 

Although in hindsight, which is always 20/20, I should have figured this one out. A few days beforehand, he wanted to know the street name of my parking garage, giving some (kind of ridiculous, but somehow believable) excuse about an argument he had had with a coworker. Also, he asked me multiple times throughout the week what my plans were for Sunday, and I had repeatedly told him that I had basically nothing planned. Anyway, it turned out to be a magical, sunny day. We went to church, had lunch, ate gelato, and essentially did nothing together. (But, doing absolutely nothing with Ben was so much better than the various "somethings" that had occupied my week.) I don't think I stopped smiling the whole day; I just felt (and still feel) so blessed to have someone so thoughtful and amazing in my life. It was an absolutely perfect day and one that I will treasure forever! (Thank you, Ben! You mean so very much to me!)
  


The End
As April begins, I am continuing to work on all the study abroad forms that I have to complete before the end of the semester. (Good news! I've received a scholarship to help pay for my plane tickets to New Zealand! Yay!) Final project deadlines are now in sight, as is the end of my freshman year! With two weekends at home already planned, a (non-surprise) weekend visit from Ben, final exams, and everything else on my plate, it looks as though April is going to be a busy time. Bring it on. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Plymouth, NZ

Our First Home